CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday 25 September 2008

Samantha's special friend

Well it appears Samantha has an imaginary friend, only he has some real historical context. She is "Nephi" in the brain. Nephi is everywhere right now and keeps her safe at night. She wants to show Nephi all her toys and "her boy baby in my tummy." I'm sure her school nursery teachers will wonder where the heck she came up with that name for a friend, as it's not your usual run of the mill name in these parts of the woods. I picked up some LDS living scripture movies over the summer, one of which is Nephi going back to Jerusalem to retrieve the brass plates. She loves this mini-movie and asks to watch it and the "Jesus is Risen" one every day. For those of you not of my faith, Nephi left Jerusalem with his family about 600 B.C. as a young boy under the direction of his father Lehi who foretold it's destruction. They were led by the Lord to a "promised land" which was the Ancient American Continent. There a great civilization arose. Nephi became a great prophet and saw many visions including one of the Saviour, Jesus Christ being born into this world. He taught his people to look towards the Saviour's coming. The crowning event in the Book of Mormon is the appearance of Jesus Christ in person on the American Continent after he was crucified. They were indeed the "other sheep" the Christ said in the Bible he would visit that "were not of this fold" (the Jews). They did in reality hear him, he taught, and blessed them. This is all recorded in the Book of Mormon - Another Testament of Jesus Christ, which was translated by the power of God through the young prophet Joseph Smith. I am personally thankful for this additional witness of my Saviour that I can read hand in hand with the Bible. The Book of Mormon has taught me the Gospel of Jesus Christ in it's plainness and fullness. If anyone would like to find out more go to http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/


As I'm typing this post Samantha is sitting with her Book of Mormon open to a picture of Nephi bending over talking to his father Lehi. She has had it with her since she came into our room this morning and picked it up from Deldon's bed side table. (She couldn't pick mine up as I was busy reading mine like a good spiritual mum lol) But the real truth is I'm doing really good if I even get about 10 minutes of scripture reading in the mornings these days. I just about manage to keep up with the Sunday School reading schedule this year.

3 comments:

Irish said...

How cute is that .... You know she can do alot worse than Nephi as a special friend ... lol ... But seriously that is excellent shows what good parents you both are with teaching your kids the gospel xoxo

Irish said...

You have been tagged with " I love your blog "

Geoff, Amanda and Katherine said...

That is awesome. Thanks for your testimony. I have been trying to keep up with the Sunday School lessons this year too. Isn't it great?... I can't believe you have only 11 more weeks to go!!!!!