CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday 30 September 2008

"Granny in America"



That is how we used to refer to my dad's mum growing up. She left Ireland when my older sister Rachael was 6 months old, to marry John Tinnes, an American who she'd met a few years prior. She said she wouldn't leave to marry him until her eldest son (my dad) had married and settled down. She lost my grandfather who I never met, to a heart attack when she was just 47 years old. Granny spent the remaining 30+ years of her life living in Dunedin, Florida. She loved the weather and the ability to be able to remain very active in that kinda of climate until she passed away 18 months ago. We always enjoyed her visits home to see us. I loved her baking and cooking. She taught me how to make a strawberry flan and a Victoria sponge cake. She used to bring us varnish shells that she would make "roses" out of, and always seemed to bring the latest American gadgets as gifts. I was first introduced to "dial" soap when she would bring it over in her wash bag and leave it in our bathroom when she went home. We too, in return visited her a few times in Florida. Her house smelt of "America" to me, and I can still smell that same smell when I step off a plane in the USA, don't ask me to explain it, it just has a smell. She had great grapefruit trees out her back garden we could pick for breakfast, she was always happy, and had lots of good friends. Mum and Dad has just begun their mission 3 weeks when she died, so it was decided upon to wait to bury her ashes here in Northern Ireland until they returned. Saturday we drove down to Portrush on the Antrim coast to lay her ashes to rest. We had a nice dry day, and a beautiful view over the Atlantic Ocean. I love this part of Northern Ireland, it is truly beautiful. It was great to see my dad with his siblings and to have all our "American " cousins join us. We had not been together for over 11 years, and this may well be the last time we will all be in one place together again. After a brief informal service we drove to Bushmills for a pub lunch, then spent Sunday afternoon together enjoying a lovely meal and some good company. Sadly Deldon was sick over the weekend, so missed out, wish he could have been with us. Wish I had a photo of my Granny handy, but the ones I do have are in the loft or round at my parent's house. If waited to get a picture, I'd probably never get round to doing this post.

2 comments:

Irish said...

Thanks for sharing .... Reminds me of my gran ... She passed away 4 months before we came over to Australia and we scattered her Ashes around Loch Lomond ... It is good to be around family and see the different generations ..... Looks like you at a lovely day xoxo

Geoff, Amanda and Katherine said...

What a beautiful place. Great memories. You look great!! Love the pictures of your girls!