CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 17 August 2008

Noah's Ark sounded pretty good yesterday

We are having a miserable summer here, in fact you couldn't even call it summer. I keep telling Samantha that our baby is coming in the winter and she keeps reminding me that it is winter already. I feel so bad having to tell her it is actually summer, even though it's so dark and wet outside we have to put our house lights on by 3pm in the afternoon...aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
I have never ever in my life feared the risk of flooding in this rainy country, but yesterday for the first time I was worried!!! I kept looking outside my front window thinking this place was going to flood. I have been sick since last Sunday and Deldon was gone at YM's camp this week which was a complete wash out, they had to abandon camp after the first night and seek shelter in a portacabin building of a branch of our Church in Omagh. When he arrived home yesterday afternoon I was itching to get out of the house despite the torrential downpour outside, so I ventured into town to go shopping for baby boy clothes. I have to say I am becoming more and more disappointed with the lack of cute baby boy clothes compared to girls, it's been bursting my bubble of joy a bit. I've gone shopping twice, the first time came home with only a hat and matching mitts and the second time came home with 7 body suits and 5 sleep suits - woo who!! I'm ready and willing to spend, just can't find stuff I really like. Oh well, at least our bank account will be healthier for it. But back to the flooding, the roads were wild and when Deldon went out that evening to get our Saturday night Chinese just around the corner, he was greeted with sand bags, a closed confectionery store, and a closed chippy obviously trying to keep the water out. A big thank you must go to our brave Chinese Takeout that was still open despite the start of a swimming pool in it, so I could enjoy my yummy half chips / half fried rice with curry sauce, and battered chicken balls with kung po sauce. Here's a photo of a new underpass about 10 minutes drive from us joining one of our motorways with a place called the west link. Someone will be on the chopping block for this engineering disaster!

2 comments:

Irish said...

That weather is awful ..... My mom was telling me how bad it has been and said she had to go out to her laundry because it was flooded ....
I really don't think the weather knows what it is doing it is true when the scriptures tell us that we will not be able to recongize the seasons ..... I love to go shopping for girls clothes but it is true that boys clothes are alot harder to purchase ...

ecometrochic said...

Hmm... it is hot and dry here. Let's share. Some shops in the US that I admire (but don't currently shop from, too expensive:) are www.bodenusa.com and www.hannaandersson.com. I guess I will just have to knit you a cute baby bunny hat so he will have some lovely knitwear... I am learning how to knit more things than scarves!! Sounds like baby needs a raft more than clothes, though. Have you looked at etsy.com? Its homemade/handmade stuff. I shop there, sometimes, and you can find local vendors.