CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 15 August 2008

Nauvoo The Beautiful

Well I'd never been to po-dunk America until I arrived here. Nauvoo is truly in the whoop whoops or back end of nowhere, with flies everywhere! This was our longest stay in any one place (4 days). Deldon's parents hired 2 big houses to put us all up, which was great fun for the kids and adults alike- very noisy though. My parents drove down from Chicago to spend the weekend with us as well. There is so much to see and do in Nauvoo, I don't even know where to begin. It is a special place, and my favourite of all the places we saw. This sounds strange, but it's almost as if you can sense the spirit of the pioneers that lived there. I somehow felt more connected to them by the time it came to leave. I am so glad we visited since the Nauvoo Temple has been rebuilt, words can't describe the presence of that building. I loved when at the end of the pageant they lit up the Temple which lies up on a hill behind the stage, and what a blessing it was to be able to attend an endownment session there.





I love this quote from Pres Hinckley:

"How grateful I am, how profoundly grateful for what has happened. Today, facing west, on the high bluff overlooking the city of Nauvoo, thence across the Mississippi, and over the plains of Iowa, there stands Joseph’s temple, a magnificent house of God. Here in the Salt Lake Valley, facing east to that beautiful temple in Nauvoo, stands Brigham’s temple, the Salt Lake Temple. They look toward one another as bookends between which there are volumes that speak of the suffering, the sorrow, the sacrifice, even the deaths of thousands who made the long journey from the Mississippi River to the valley of the Great Salt Lake". I can't even imagine the faith they must have had to leave their beautiful city and homes behind. It must have been an overwhelming experience, I was constantly wondering if I would have had the faith and physical strength to do it?





Samantha and daddy on a wagon ride that takes you around all the main sites of Nauvoo, it's great as you can decide what you want to go back and see on foot, as there is so much.



This was taken at the pioneer games, held every day for the kids to come and learn and see some of the typical games the pioneer kids would have played.


Pre -Pageant activities are fantastic! This is a mini handcart ride, the girls were so freaked out I had to get in the cart with them, most painful bumpy experience, not recommended for more than 60 seconds.



Sophie loved the pioneer dancing, she even found herself a partner! I had a go with Samantha, it was great fun, they had a live band playing the traditional dance music and dancers intermingled amongst us so we could pick up the dances quickly.


Navuoo visit to be continued.........

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel the same way about Nauvoo! Just standing where they stood and looking back at their beautiful temple for the last time as they started west across the river, I felt so close to them and so grateful for their lives of sacrifice.