CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday 19 August 2008

Carthage Jail


This was a wonderful place to visit. We visited there on a Sunday, our last day in the Nauvoo area. It amazes me that people in Carthage would have had issue with Joesph as it is about 25 miles way, so in those days would have been a 6 hour horseback ride. I was a little stressed throughout our tour as it is such a sacred place for so many of our faith, and I didn't want our girls to ruin the experience for anyone. They did really well, and we sang I am a child of God at one point in the tour and Sophie stopped her fussing and just listened. As we entered into the room where the Joseph and Hyrum where martyred the missionary leading our tour told us we would have some time to reflect about the events there and if anyone wanted to share any thoughts or feelings they were free to do so......silence.....my worst nightmare with 2 young kids. I quickly said a prayer in my heart that Sophie would be quiet and this is what she did whilst we all sat quietly for a few moments, it was precious.




Can you believe the door has been preserved all these years with the bullet hole that killed the Prophet's Brother Hyrum?

The window out of which the Prophet Joesph Smith fell to his death and sealed his testimony with his own blood.

The well marks the spot where Joesph lay dead after falling out of the window of the Upper room in the jail, I believe he actually lay there for 2 days before being taken away for burial.

Mum, Dad, and me. I hate all these photos, I think I managed to gain about 10 pounds in the 2 weeks we were away. It was very traumatizing, but thankfully about 6 pounds of it turned out to water weight from the heat, but boy did I start to look and feel very prego on this trip!

3 comments:

Irish said...

Your mom and Dad look good there :) ... Sounds and looks like an amazing trip :)

Jennifer said...

I love Carthage jail. It really brings reality to the story of Joseph and Hyrum's martyrdom. What feels like a foregone conclusion when I'm studying it at once feels real and tragic and so emotional when in the very place of the event. My great-great-great (I think that many greats) grandfather is Willard Richards.

Merrill's said...

Okay,I just checked my facebook and realized you left me a message months ago. You can tell, I don't do much of facebook, but blogging. I didn't know you had a blog. I can't believe you are in the US. What a fun adventure for you and your family. You look great!! Both Carrie and you are expecting. I am excited to check back often on your blog. Have fun.