CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 2 June 2008

Newcastle - where the Mountains of Mourne Sweep down to the sea


Dear Mary this London's a wonderful sight, Oh there's people here workin' by day and by night. They don't plant potatoes, nor barley, or wheat, but there's gangs of them diggin' for gold in the street. At least when I asked them that's what I was told, so I just took a hand at this diggin' for gold. But for all that I found there I might as well be Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I believe that in writin' a wish you expressed, as to how the fine ladies in London are dressed. Well if you'll believe me, when asked to a ball oh They don't wear no tops to their dresses at all! Oh I've seen them myself and you could not in truth say if they were bound for a ball or a bath. Don't go startin' them fashions, now Mary McCree where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

Oh There's beautiful ladies, now never you mind. Loveliest shapes nature never designed. Lovely complexions of roses and cream, but let me remark with regard to the same. For if that those roses you venture to sip the color would all come away on your lip, so I'll wait for the wild rose that's waitin' for me in the place where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea.

and so the song continues.

I heard this song often as a child as my dad played it on the piano, and thought of it many times when I lived in the States. Newcastle is a great little day trip here in Northern Ireland. It's a little seaside town with a beach, funfair rides, shopping, and a forest park on the lower slopes of the mountains of Mourne. The mountains do literally sweep down to the sea, it's a beautiful site on a clear day. We had glorious weather on Saturday so couldn't miss the opportunity to take the kids there to have some fun. Here's photos showing what we got up to that day, excuse the volume but they are really for the benefit of the grandparents who are so far away.


Samantha wanted to ride the pony but once she actually got going she wasn't so sure



So Sophie took over on the way back down the beach, she has no fear.


Sophie sat quietly for the first 5 minutes on the swan boat, then was all over the place, they give you 20 Min's out there. I think we lasted about 10 between Sophie trying to jump over board and Samantha's navigation skills.


Samantha loves smiling at the camera

Playing in the playground area

Sophie chillin' on the swings



Samantha had some serious steering issues, the boys were racing around and the girls struggled.

Thought we'd send daddy on the train with her, problem was they could hardly fit in together

More fun at the fair


Sophie LOVED this mini merry go round, I think she had 5 goes on it and every time you tried to lift her off she had a melt down.


No day at the seaside is ever complete with out ice cream - here a speciality is Pooh Bears - a really rich creamy ice cream with honey comb through it.



Buckets and Spades


I saved the best shot for last. Deldon will kill me for this one - he was blinding us all with his whiteness, one of the joys of living in a place that has rain over 200 days out of the year.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Deldon, I feel your pain! And I live in Texas, where it is summer 9 months out of the year!

ecometrochic said...

I love the photos! It sounds like you had a really fun day. I like your christening of the garden, too.

Unknown said...

the song was actually written in skerries in dublin as he watched the mountains across the irish sea