CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 2 June 2008

10 year anniversary of the Preston, England Temple


Sunday Night my sister and I attended as stake fireside to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Preston, England Temple. It was a lovely evening with the speakers being Elder Kerr, an area authority here and Pres and Sister Ferguson who are from our stake but are currently serving in the Preston Temple Presidency. I was on my mission in Germany when the temple was dedicated. I was so glad to be reminded of the blessings of the temple, I haven’t been since November and the evening got me really excited to be able to attend some Temples this summer on our tour. I am so grateful for the sacred ordinances in the temple that have blessed my life so richly. I was reminded of some fond memories of trips to the temple as our stake President encouraged us to take our children as often as we can. I have always been so thankful for the importance my parents placed on temple worship, even though the closest temple was in London. They faithfully attended and were temple workers despite the distance. We always had a picture of the London Temple in our home that I would look at when they went away every 6 months and would imagine them walking through the door. I noticed even as a small child the spirit of the temple that they brought back with them, they were always happier people when they returned. When we became youth we too where taken frequently to the temple and it was there many of my friendships with my stake friends were created. We always had fun and met so many cool people. We meet kids from Portugal one time and although we couldn't’t communicate with words we would sing primary songs to each other in our respective languages. I remember being so curious as to what was going on inside the temple as we would spend many days outside whilst our parents where in the temple. My friend Lyndsey shared the same curiosity. I remember us reading Old Testament scriptures that her uncle gave us to read and going to the distribution center and reading down the list of clothing and looking at each other thinking what the heck? The stake president jogged my memory last night of the time he and my dad took us and his kids to the London rededication open house. We had to take the ferry and drive overnight 12 hours down to London but broke down on the way. We said a prayer and got there in the end. When we left the temple that day I cried as we drove away because I always loved the way I felt when I was in the presence of the temple. I still feel that same spirit and excitement today as we drive up the M61 and the Preston Temple comes into view, I just love it! One of my greatest dreams will be realised the day I have witnessed all my children be endowed with power from on high in the House of the Lord.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was a lovely testimony of the temle. I remember the opening of the Dallas Texas temple when I was a little girl. That is where I was sealed to my family and where I was married. I am grateful for the Houston temple being only an hour away as well.

Mandy said...

I cannot believe it has been ten years! I went on an Art History Study Abroad to Europe and we stopped by the Preston Temple site to take pictures. As we took them, a sweet lady walking by told us that they were placing Moroni on top later that afternoon. She just happened to be a member and said that a bunch of Saints were gathering in her backyard that day to watch it. We pleaded with our non-member bus driver to let us stay for it. As they placed Moroni on the spire, we all sang "The Spirit of God." There wasn't a dry eye in the garden, not even our bus driver. It opened his heart and he was baptized three months later! Thanks for reminding me of those precious moments!

Lyndsey said...

What were we like?! So funny, I was just talking to Rachael the other day about our curiosity. We were daft. Thanks for this little post - our 5 year anniversary is next week and we were married in the Preston Temple, this post was awesome!