CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday 5 February 2009

Relocating to Utah

Deldon and I moved here in the spring of 04. Four months later in the Autumn of 04 as we were driving from San Francisco to Sacramento to visit for Deldon's Dad's birthday we decided to be on a " five year plan". I guess we meant it literally. We figured we would make the decision as to where to settle before Samantha started full-time school and that would be this coming September. We started seriously thinking of moving about 18 months ago and have talked and talked and talked about it. The time has come and it's basically now or never. We have tried to sell our home, but that hasn't happened with the horrible market crash here. We're looking at it as a long term investment at this stage and hope to rent it out by the time we leave. Deldon has really disliked his job choice for a while now, so with that he has decided to go back to school to do a construction management degree, construction is his passion, not financial services. He'll attend UVU as that is the easiest, quickest route to graduation and will only have to do 2 yrs if he goes full time. We want to be there a year before spring semester dates in 2010 to be able to get residency. Having said that, we may yet just decide to have him start in the Fall and pay the crazy out-of-state tuition just get on with the schooling instead of putting it off. He luckily has a job to go out to working for his Uncle's construction firm based in Provo.
How do I feel about it? Absolutely devastated to be honest. I have been bottling up and hiding my feelings even from Deldon. But now it is getting closer it has started to feel really real and I need to start dealing and facing my feelings more openly. I love the United States, and know long term this will be best for our family. I know I can be happy there, whereas Deldon has never been 100% happy living here (darn that Irish weather lol.) It's just going to be the initial leaving my tight family / friend /Church support network, oh and the 50% income reduction that we'll be experiencing that is panicking me. I wonder how we'll even feed our mouths at this stage lol and more seriously, if and when we'll ever have the money for me to set eyes on this green Isle again. I haven't mentioned it on this blog before now because we haven't talked about it much outside the family circle, we figured we'd wait until after the baby was born, and I didn't want to drag the whole moving thing out. In the past I have talked about moving and my sister has told me I have offended people. My way to deal with it has been to focus on the positives of the USA and the negatives of here. Stressful days lie ahead. I just hope I can get through them in one piece emotionally and mentally....maybe I should be reconsidering removing chocolate from my diet, I might be needing it.

9 comments:

Bombshell Char said...

Oh Karin. Don't feel guilty for being devistated. Leaving a home that you love is one of the hardest things to do, even if you know it's the right thing to do. Your family is in my prayers.

ecometrochic said...

Move to our ward! Okay, maybe I should look at this a little more broadly. Moving is hard. I can't imagine moving overseas from family. But we're moving too, next weekend. Just to a cute house in the ward that we will rent with raspberry bushes and a garden spot.

Irish said...

You will be good !!!! I know that it is a hard decision to make and the only down side is that you are away from your family !!! .... But it does get easier .. Whenever I feel abit low I get on line and talk to claire and she does the same with me as we are Irish girls away from home and family ... But the broader picture is that you do what is right for your family ....

I know that the Lord will watch over you and your family :) And if you ever need to talk I'm here !!

Lyndsey said...

Yay! I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to leave, I hate saying goodbye to my parents each time they go home. But, if its the right thing, it all works out and you get on with it! It will be fun to have you closer, and when we go to Utah we will have to get together. Good luck with the move, and the flight here! I don't envy you that one bit! What an exciting time though, change is always good!

Peterson Family Utah said...

Hey you!!! It is tricky that is for sure!!!!! I think the thought of it is worse though! When i got here and it all hit me (I choose the denial route until i landed here!!!!!) I had the distinct feeling ONE DAY AT A TIME! It does get easier and know you are not without support here!! Jennifer and I are here anytime, anywhere!! And did I tell you I was planning an Irish family reunion for the summer??!!!! I think the hardest part is not the move, I think it is that funny time in between feeling still like a little girl who suddenly has kids and a house and feeling like that person who you see your parents as being! Does that make sense?? i read a great book that dealt with this called the middle place. It was a different context but raised some good points! You will do well, i would be more worried about you if you did not feel some angst!! Think of yourself as a wee pioneer!! I have a section on the course I teach about immigration and it used to nearly make me cry in class! It made the point that the benefit is mostly felt by the subsequent generation. You are doing it because for you as an individual family you feel it is best. Your kids will thank you for your sacrifice (Not that I am saying anything bad about Ireland at all, I love it and miss it so much) but everyones path leads them down a different road. Sorry this is an essay! We took a 60% pay cut when Brian went back to school full-time, but you will end up with more stability in the long run, and a husband who is happy at his work is worth more than all the money!!!!!! It is good to cut back sometimes too makes you appreciate the good stuff when it comes and remember there is always walmart and costco! And Old navy super duper 3 day awesome sale in January! For selfish reasons I am excited to have you here! You are a good friend and helped me lots with good chats before I left! We did have to marry foreign men didnt we!!!!!!! Take care my friend, anything I can do to help let me know! Stay strong, you can do it! Love you, Claire. oxoxoxox

Geoff, Amanda and Katherine said...

Wow. All of us in America will be cheering but I know this decision will be difficult. But I guess if you're going to make the move, now is the time while your kids are young and a great time to go back to school. You know that you will get chocolate care packages from you mum. We'll support you and make this more comfortable for you.

Mandy said...

Karen, I can't imagine what you are feeling right now! I know how close your family is and how hard it is going to be to leave them...not only your real family, but the ward family too! The thing that gets me through living away from my family is knowing we can visit...but it sounds like that won't be an option for awhile. While I am excited for you to finally settle in permanently and know that it is best before Samantha starts school, it doesn't make it easier for you emotionally! All I can say is that from experience, it makes a big difference when your husband is happy at work and the Utah sunshine will be a great change as well!

Mandy said...

Karen, I can't imagine what you are feeling right now! I know how close your family is and how hard it is going to be to leave them...not only your real family, but the ward family too! The thing that gets me through living away from my family is knowing we can visit...but it sounds like that won't be an option for awhile. While I am excited for you to finally settle in permanently and know that it is best before Samantha starts school, it doesn't make it easier for you emotionally! All I can say is that from experience, it makes a big difference when your husband is happy at work and the Utah sunshine will be a great change as well! I also know that the Lord will provide a way for you to be close to your family and visit, even if it is only over a webcam for a little while!

DTORME said...

On the positive side that is one less dodgy family member to worry about and visit in the homeland. On the -ve side guess who will come to visit when he visits that area of the US. I'm sure it will be the best decision you ever made and I admire your decisiveness and strength. Just make sure you get a good web cam and skype to keep in touch with your family. I will try and see you before you leave -sorry about that, as if you didn't have enough to worry about ;-))) You have my love and best wishes to add to all the rest.