CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday 9 July 2008

I heart you Auntie Kitty


Today is the 1 year anniversary of the passing on of my dear great auntie Kitty. She was a second mother to my mum, therefore a 2nd granny to us kids. I have the best of memories of her and my great uncle Alfie. My favourite thing was going once a month on Saturdays, and in the later days Sundays to their house for dinner. It was always so yummy and no one could mash potatoes like my uncle Alfie. Auntie Kitty was a great cook and baker, I loved her German biscuits, current squares, homemade strawberry jam, and home grown tomatoes. She loved to spread butter real thick on bread and always had c&c lemonade in her fridge. As far a chocolate goes she always seemed to have club biscuits in the house, orange, mint, and fruit & nut. Funny how a lot of my memories revolve around food???? That must be why she nicknamed me "the bin" - my appetite was never ending (still is)! Once a year she would take us shopping for our B-days and we would meet her in Belfast, have an Ulster fry for breakfast, then usually head to M&S to buy an outfit. I missed seeing her when I left to live in the USA, she was always up there on the top of my list of people to see when I was home to visit, and I enjoyed taking the girls to visit her monthly until last July. Can't believe a year has gone by already. Mum, Rachael, and I sang a family song called Whispering Hope at her funeral which had a lot of meaning to her and the whole Parkes side of the family. Hopefully I can find it online and post it, if not I'll post the words. Just mindful and grateful today for such a special person - my auntie Kitty.

0 comments: